St.Wilfrid’s is the Church of England ( i.e. “Anglican,” or “Episcopalian”) Parish Church for Northenden, a district in the Wythenshawe area of south Manchester, UK.
Our aim is to honour God as we worship him, using both traditional and modern C of E forms of service; to share the good news of what Jesus Christ taught about life, God, and our relationship with him, and what he achieved for us through his death and resurrection; to offer support, spiritual or practical, to people in times of need or crisis, and in the normal routine and adventure of living; to encourage people to serve God in and through their daily lives, whether in their church activities, or in their “normal” life in work, family and community; to help people grasp more clearly the Christian understanding of life, the world and everything, through discussion and teaching.
Prayer for the month
I said to the man who stood at the Gate of the Year,
'Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown.'
And he replied, 'Go out into the darkness,
and put your hand into the Hand of God.
be better than light, and safer than a known way.'
From a poem quoted by George VI in his Christmas Broadcast, 1939
apparently at the suggestion of his daughter the then Princess Elizabeth
• January 2015 CONCORD Parish Magazine is available to download.
• Thoughts of Marriage? Please view, save or print our new Wedding Flier with some
basic information to help you decide.
• A “Watkin Walk” in Northenden ~ Click here to read a suggested historical walk
by Greg Forster.
• From 26th January 2014 Sunday Club will be held in the Church Hall alongside Scramblers,
not in the Rectory.
• The Rector’s booklet, ‘We Will Remember Them’, is available from the Church. It
prints articles from CONCORD about WW1 casualties recognised in the churchyard, with
more information and colour photographs. It now includes the full list of our 1914
- 19 war graves,
and new sections based on the most recent editions of CONCORD.
Price (further revised edition) £2.25
• High Speed Trains 100 feet under Northenden - HS2 plans have been published, if
you wish to
see the maps please go to section “Route section HSM28 Winterbottom to Ardwick” and
select maps HSM28 Key Plan, Profile Sheet 6 or Profile Sheet 7 or click the links
shown to open the map files. You will need to zoom in to see the street detail.
• Scramblers dates - click here.
• Coffee Mornings will normally be on the last Saturday of the month ~ but watch
the monthly diary slot.
•Don’t forget to “Drop in” between 2.00 pm and 5.00 pm’ish… St.Wilfrid’s church is
open most Sunday afternoons from 2.00 pm until Dusk, for prayer, visiting, enquiries,
ancestor hunting, &c.