St.Wilfrid’s is the Church of England ( i.e. “Anglican,” or “Episcopalian”) Parish Church for Northenden, a district in the Wythenshawe area of south Manchester, UK.
Our aim is to honour God as we worship him, using both traditional and modern C of E forms of service; to share the good news of what Jesus Christ taught about life, God, and our relationship with him, and what he achieved for us through his death and resurrection; to offer support, spiritual or practical, to people in times of need or crisis, and in the normal routine and adventure of living; to encourage people to serve God in and through their daily lives, whether in their church activities, or in their “normal” life in work, family and community; to help people grasp more clearly the Christian understanding of life, the world and everything, through discussion and teaching.
Prayer for the month
O Lord our God, who art in every place,
from Whom no space or distance can ever separate us;
We know that those who are absent from each other
are still present with Thee.
Into Thy holy care and keeping we commit our dear ones
now parted from our sight,
and may we know that through prayer and worship and sacrament, by drawing near to
we draw near to each other. Amen.
A prayer used by Lowry Hamilton, Rector during WW1.
• July 2014 CONCORD Parish Magazine is available to download.
• Note that the morning service on 3rd August will reflect the centenary of the beginning
of the first world war. Details have yet to be arranged, but it is hoped that there
will be some British Legion or ex-service representation. It will therefore not
be the usual “first Sunday” Family Communion.
• See new photos of the church hall set out for a wedding reception.
• Is Britain a Christian country? Click here for comment.
• A “Watkin Walk” in Northenden ~ Click here to read a suggested historical walk
by Greg Forster.
• From 1st May - changes to appointment system at Northenden Group Practice - click
• High Speed Trains 100 feet under Northenden - HS2 plans have been published, if
you wish to
see the maps please go to section “Route section HSM28 Winterbottom to Ardwick” and
select maps HSM28 Key Plan, Profile Sheet 6 or Profile Sheet 7 or click the links
shown to open the map files. You will need to zoom in to see the street detail.
• Scramblers dates - click here.
• From 26th January 2014 Sunday Club will be held in the Church Hall alongside Scramblers,
not in the Rectory.
• Coffee Mornings will normally be on the last Saturday of the month ~ but watch
the monthly diary slot.
•Don’t forget to “Drop in” between 2.00 pm and 5.00 pm’ish… St.Wilfrid’s church is
open most Sunday afternoons from 2.00 pm until Dusk, for prayer, visiting, enquiries,
ancestor hunting, &c.